WARNING!!! The following blog is long and mainly for relatives.Last summer, just before our move to Texas, our family took our vacation to California to visit my family. My dad planned for us to go to a rodeo where we had a lot of fun. This is Analee with her cousin Kailee. What darling cheeks!
My twin sister, Charon, loves being with her nieces and nephews and they adore her right back. She is willing to take all three of my kids on in a wrestling match, where she usually wins, of course. What's the might of three kids compared to the power of the best aunt ever?!This is the landing of a parachuter who trailed the American flag behind him. As he was coming down, the rodeo played "I'm Proud to be an American" over the loudspeaker. It was a fabulous sight that kicked off the rodeo.
Along with rodeo performers, several members of the Armed Forces spread out the flag and someone sang the national anthem. The whole opening sequence for the rodeo gave me chills.
Most of the shots I took didn't come out too well. There was calf roping, bull and bronco riding. Very exciting! The rodeo queens did barrell racing and put their horses through some routines.

This part of the show involved two buffalos climbing a ramp up to the top of their transport truck. There were also two ponies with young kids riding them and doing tricks. The end of the rodeo was a big fireworks show. The kids really enjoyed it and were good and tired when we got home.

On Sunday, we, along with my parents and my sister, went to visit the Sacramento Temple. What a beautiful place. My parents only live about 15 minutes from it. A much better commute than the two hour commute to the Oakland Temple.

Several other families (that we didn't know) were visiting the temple and one of the little boys took a fancy to Analee and began playing with her. Cute little tow-head.
My mostly cooperative-posing-for-a-picture family.
My parents and their two oldest children, Charon and Cheryl. It's a complete accident that she and I are sitting almost identically.
Cheryl's two oldest children looking a little too innocent.

Could this be the reason? Doing tricks off a ledge, at the temple? But, hey, it must have been alright because who told him to do that so she could take a picture?

This should have been the first picture in the temple sequence. I love the arches in the construction.

We took a day trip to Old Sacramento and visited the train museum. Most of the pictures I took turned out fuzzy. I had trouble getting the camera settings right. I did have another picture in here but, once again, I lost it. It was a good one too, dagnabit.

This is Peyton, Kailee's older sister. I had a great picture of Analee and Peyton together in their matching aprons that grandma helped them make but I couldn't get it turned right side up. It was so cute.

Another day trip took us to the the Sacramento Zoo. This parrot is right inside the gates and is very talkative. The kids would have been content to stay and listen to him the whole time. He kept saying things like "Here kitty, kitty" and "What's up?" and "Hello, there". He was very entertaining.
The chimpanzees made funny faces. Although many people think they are cute, I've read too much about their aggressive behavior to call them cute.

These tigers were in a playful mood and this was another place the kids wanted to stay and watch (or was that just me). I think they are beautiful animals and when they are playing and moving around I love to watch them.

My mother saw this squirrel stretched out on this rock. At first we thought it was dead but it was only resting in a cool place. The day was very warm.

The jaguar kept walking through the plants and shadows and it was very clear how his spots keep him hidden. Another beautiful creature.

I like seeing different kinds of lizards. This chameleon definitely looks weird. It's buggy eyes are fascinating to me.
The best part of our trip to California was the time we spent at the beach. All of my sisters with their families were with us. It was a cold beach, not really a swimsuit beach but we had loads of fun. Jacob is perfecting his skimboarding skills.
We rented two beach houses and divided up the meals. We spent time playing games, playing on the beach and, despite the temperatures, playing in the water, and just talking and laughing.
My brother-in-law, Luis, with his oldest daughter, Lydia. Lydia was so busy running around and playing that I didn't get a picture of her face. She was brave to go into the cold water.
At one point, Kyle and I took a walk along the beach and came upon a sea lion that had come out of the water to rest. I did not have my camera, which I regretted.
Peyton again. What a darling little beach bunny.
This is my sister, Susan, and her husband, Kevin, with their two boys, Brody and Joshua. Again, I couldn't get my pictures of my other sisters' families to flip the right way.
Kyle, along with the other fathers, took the kids exploring over the rocks and found a small pool with some fun creatures in it. This little crab did not like being pulled from its safe place in the water. He certainly is a cool little guy.
This starfish was the popular find. Isn't it pretty? Every now and then it would move one of it's arms. We put the animals back in the water after we were done looking at them.
We stayed at the beach from Thursday through Saturday. It was one of the best vacations. I loved being with my whole family. I loved the opportunity for my kids to be with their cousins and aunts and uncles that we don't see very often. I hope to do it again sometime. Thanks for the great memories. Love you all.














Wow! I got to see your twin. Fun. I love family vacation pictures, too. Getting my kids together with my sister's kids is the best -- I'm glad we've been able to visit so frequently. I hope you get back to Cally soon to visit again, too.
ReplyDeletethe squirrel was awesome! I am glad you had a great vacation before the move.
ReplyDeleteI love all the pictures. How did you just start blogging and your blog looks all cute. I still haven't figured it out yet! When did Kyle shave his head? Is he that bald?
ReplyDelete