Saturday, January 29, 2011

He said, "I wanted to make you extra happy."

Sam's 5th grade program was themed "Peace, Love, and Happiness." Sam hates to dance and sing. During all the practices, when it came time to dance, he stepped out of the way and waited for it to be over. He politely informed his teacher that he wasn't going to dance during the performance. I had to talk him into standing on the risers with his classmates and just pretend to sing. He said he didn't even want to do that so when it came time for the program, I didn't know what to expect. To my surprise, he danced. And he smiled a few times while dancing. I loved it. From my spot in the crowd, I could barely see him next to the curtain's edge. When they stood on the risers he was completely behind the curtain so I had to jump up and go to the other side of the gym.
This is one of his gym teachers. They were the ones to teach the dances. She had glittery rainbow eyelashes on that caught the light. All the teachers involved in the program were dressed up like the 60's and each 5th grade class had their own color of tie-dyed shirt. They looked great.All of the 5th grade. Sam is in the top left corner.Here is the closing number. It was the same as the opening number only this time the audience was invited to stand up and join in the twisting and shouting. Many parents and younger siblings did just that.After they exited the stage and the gym, the parents found their kids in the cafeteria where cookies were served. Sam ran up to me and gave me a big hug. I told him how happy I was watching him dance. I couldn't stop smiling. Then he said, "I wanted to make you extra happy so instead of pretending to sing, I sang for real." How about that! That did make me extra happy. One of his coaches gave him a high five and Sam gave him a thumb's up. He felt so good and I loved seeing him so happy. It was a great night.On a side note, on my walk back home from crossing guard this morning, I saw this big fella land on the roof of my house.

Isnt' he pretty?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful surprise Sam gave you. Kids sometimes do that just to catch you off guard. And when they do, it is something you will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see a picture of him I think to myself, "Wow, he really looks like the Young side of the family!" Who he looks like I haven't been able to figure out yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to make a mama proud! That's sooo great! As I was reading this I thought of how great it would be to see you again and give you a big ole squeeze myself - sure miss you!!

    ReplyDelete