Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sci-Fi convention

This past Saturday, we took the kids to the science fiction convention at the Plano Center by our house. Sam was so excited because there were going to be costumed characters from Star Wars and lots of Star Wars booths to look at. We had a good two hours at the convention. The kids had pictures taken with numerous characters. They were all very happy to pose for pictures. I just love Jacob's smile.
Imperial Red Guard. The back lighting didn't make for a very good picture but I'll keep it.
Of course Darth Vader was the highlight character.
While Jacob and Analee were getting their pictures taken, Sam was with Kyle trying to bargain down a price for a Star Wars ship. The guy wouldn't budge on price so Sam got an AirSoft gun with a bottle of a thousand pellets instead. Jacob got the same thing. Then Sam posed for pictures also.
I think this one is my favorite because Sam just loves Star Wars with all his heart and here he is surrounded by storm troopers, storm trooper pilots, and Darth Vader. Sam is wearing one of his Star Wars shirts just for the occasion.
This man is Nick Gillard and he is a true Jedi Master. He taught the actors who played Jedi in the movie how to fight. The kids really enjoyed talking with him. He told us a lot about what it was like to work with the actors and on the sets, especially the Tatooine sets. He was the one they really wanted to meet. He has a part in the third movie where he and two padawans get killed by Anakin after he turns to the dark side. His scene is only about three seconds long and he gets killed in a hologram when Obi Wan realizes Anakin has turned. He was so nice and seemed to really enjoy the kids enthusiasm. There were pictures for him to sign but the pictures cost $25. He was more than happy to pose for a picture with the kids. He was very cool.

On a side note, the convention was featuring the Women of Sci-Fi on that day. At first I was concerned about what that meant, but it turned out to be alright. It just meant that there were several women actors from well known science fiction TV shows. I didn't know most of them but two I was familiar with. Trisha Helfer from Battlestar Galactica and Morena (I forget her last name) from Firefly and V. I don't watch any of those shows. We didn't talk to them but it was cool. There was one girl walking around dressed like Padme Amidala in the second movie when she is in the arena with Anakin and Obi Wan. She was a very tall girl, wearing tall boots and her chest was rather large and at eye level because of her boots so we stayed away from her. No pictures with Padme.

3 comments:

  1. oh rats!!!! my kids (and David) would have loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved this, too. I love Sci-Fi. Morena's last name is Bacarin. She was also in Stargate SG-1 towards the end of the series. I would have been thrilled to meet her. I love Sci-Fi conventions. I haven't been to one in several years, but in the past I went to tons of them. So many, I don't even know the number. I'm glad you all had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys would have totally love this! Isn't that one guy a little short for a storm trooper? Ha. Ha. I can't believe how tall Jacob is getting.

    ReplyDelete