Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rubix cube and Sam

Ahh, the Rubix Cube. A fantastic little memory from my childhood. A classic never dies, only gets improved. There is an electronic one out on the store shelves now, with a light that you chase somehow. It looks very cool but the classic one is what Sam wanted. He had his own money and on Saturday, he, Jacob and I went looking for one. First to Target where we found only the electronic one. Next to Walmart, where we found what we were looking for. Sam yelled out, "Victory!" when we found it. He played with it for the rest of the day and on Sunday shared it with Analee and Jacob, who got a bit irritated because they couldn't get any colors completed. This is where my childhood skills came in. I took the Cube and quickly finished one solid color gaining the admiration of my children. Then I gave both Analee and Jacob some tips on how to do it and let them go. They enjoyed playing with it and eventually gave it back to Sam. It wasn't too long after Sam got it back that he announced he had done the yellow color. He hadn't asked for any help, no tips of any kind and he wasn't around when I was helping Analee and Jacob. All on his own he figured it out. He said he had a secret way of doing it and that he wasn't going to tell anyone. When I asked if I could watch him do it he let me and he's good at it. What a smart boy!

3 comments:

  1. oh man did I spend hours with that thing! The satisfaction from getting one color was amazing and I may have had two colors or more until I learned how to remove the pieces!! Impatience... the mother of most of my inventions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never any good at that. I got a couple of colors but nothing to brag about. I soon gave up. Way to go Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a secret way too. Peel off the stickers and stick them back on. Voila. I don't have a "puzzle" brain. Anything more than 24 pieces and not involving Elmo is pushing it. Ain't it sweet that Roger married me anyway?

    ReplyDelete