Sunday, April 5, 2009

First swim of the year

The temperature outside is 80 degrees with a moderate breeze. The temperature of the water is 65 degrees. It's a perfect time to try out the pool. Right? Let's take it a bit slow and get used to the water first. Feet and legs first and laugh off how cold it makes you feel and try to keep your resolve to get all the way in. After all, your kids are looking on and are more than ready to call you a chicken if you back out. Besides, they want to get in the pool, too, and it is entirely dependent on whether or not you go first.
Okay, this is colder than I first thought.
Ready, set, go!
Great swim across the pool and a minor rush to get out only to get hit on the head for your trouble with a noodle by your mischevious 9 year old son.
Next up, Analee with a dainty little toe dip. Should I or shouldn't I?
Cold, cold, cold! Why did I do that?!
Our next polar bear jumper, Jacob, who stood on the side and took several running starts only to stop right at the edge and say "I can't do it!"
After several false starts, in he goes.
Let me out, let me out, let me out!!!
Since it's obviously too cold to go swimming (something Mom pointed out but was ignored) the only thing left to do is have more noodle fights....
squirt Dad with the water gun...(by the way, Dad was the only one who got back in the pool, several times. None of his dips in the pool lasted very long.)and catch a very large, very loudly buzzing bumblebee with the butterfly net and hold it under the water until it drowns.

5 comments:

  1. Cute, Cheryl! You guys will be having fun in the sun this summer while the rest of us take a siesta!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, we woe up to snow today. I like your pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravery must run in the Winkel family, well at lease three of them. I'm thinking of doing the Polar Bear plunge next January in Lake Minnetonka. Now that will be cold! I remember in my mission, we had to use the public bath house, since there were no bathrooms in the apartments. So we went from a 200 degree sauna to a 38 degree cold pool. That is enough to knock all the dirt off and the nasty remarks people threw at you while you knocked on doors. Yes, we did have a couple inches of snow when we woke up (I agree with Mirjam) but it was gone by noon (the rest of the story).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great photographs Cheryl. You are clearly a master of your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 65 degrees and you go swimming? it's 65 in my house and I'm bundling up in a sweater!! Oh, by the way, what happened to Kyle's hair? :)

    ReplyDelete