Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Who doesn't love the fire station?

To finish his Wolf Cub Scout badge, the only thing left for Sam to do was to visit a fire station. The one by our house only takes visitors on certain days of the month so I didn't know how we were going to get the visit in before Pack meeting on Thursday, the week of spring break.

Enter my fabulous, extreme people person, husband. The Friday before spring break week, he took a short business trip to North Carolina. On the plane coming home, he sat next to a Plano fire fighter. They got to talkin' and the subject of Sam needing to visit a fire station came up. The fire fighter, whose name was Matt, told him to bring Sam and the kids by anytime he was working. He gave Kyle his schedule and on Wednedsay, we took a trip to the fire station.

Fire fighter Matt, met us in the front office and we began a great tour. He showed us the kitchen where the other fire fighters were busy cleaning up after lunch. He showed us the captain's room, the dispatch room and the dorm room where the fire fighters stay during their 24 hour shifts. If only I could tell when Sam was going to say something I'd rather he didn't. When he took a look in the dorm room, he said, "Eww. It smells like rotten bacon in there." What do you say after that? Moving on.



Matt showed us the ambulance and the fire truck and the boys took pictures. Analee didn't want to and I found out later that she thought she was too old for a picture in a fire truck. Analee took a picture of me but I hate it so it's not making an appearance. (sorry, Suse) I appear later on.









What do you think of Jacob in a headset? Looks good and ready to handle anything.










Matt showed us all the equipment. Jacob asked some very good questions and I was impressed with how he was paying attention and really listening to what Matt was saying. At one point, Matt was showing a big fan that they use to blow smoke out of houses. Jacob wanted to know why they use a fan because "wouldn't that be a detriment, because fire needs oxygen to survive." Yes, he said detriment.
Sam was excited to be there and was very squirrelly.







One of the highlights of the tour was the "Jaws of Life". Imagine Sam saying this in a Dr. Frankenstein way. Jacob was very interested in how they work and how they are used to save people.














Look at this bad boy. Just holding it makes you feel macho.














With that cute little smile, it makes you wonder what is going on in his head.








I forget the name of this thing but it looks impressive.




And, last but not least, the always awesome fire hose. We learned about the different colored hoses and what they mean when the fire fighters are on the scene of a fire.

We spent a very fun 30-40 minutes with our new friend, Matt. He was very fun and accomodating with the kids. And best of all, Sam fulfilled his Wolf Cub Scout requirements and received his Wolf badge the very next day at Pack meeting.
Thanks, Matt.
And thanks to Kyle also, for utilizing his amazing people skills and setting it all up for us. Too bad he had to work or he would have been every bit as interested as Jacob.

2 comments:

  1. Sam and a weapon? I'd be nervous for sure.

    Rotten bacon....haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time. I wouldn't want to stop Sam from saying funny things, its part of the spontaneity of life. As for not posting a picture you hate, I don't think you have to keep every picture of yourself, so long as there are some pictures.

    ReplyDelete