Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sam's fabulous skate night

I wish I had pictures of this event. I thought about taking my camera but I was nervous it would get broken. Leaving the camera behind turned out to be a good idea. Breakage was almost a guarantee.

McCall Elementary has an annual skate night at Thunderbird Skate. It happened last Wednesday. I wasn't planning to go because Kyle, Analee and Jacob have church activities on Wednesday and the last time we took the kids skating Sam hated it and barely even tried to skate. After school last Wednesday, he told me he wanted to go to the skate night and the Special Ed director, Mrs. Chamberlain, told him that if he would go so would she. So we went. It was so much fun. Mrs. Chamberlain put on skates and she and I took Sam out on the floor. He pulled me down several times and held on to us for dear life as his feet went every which way but straight. Every time he went down, he got back up and kept trying. We were there for a little over an hour and by the time the night was over, he was going around by himself. Mrs. Chamberlain was a great cheerleader for him and he saw several kids and teachers who talked to him and gave him encouragement. He was happy the whole time. He said that the next time we have a family fun night he wants to go skating again. This is a big win for everyone. I'm so very proud of him.

2 comments: