Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kyle's shoulder surgery

Kyle had surgery on his right shoulder this past Tuesday. He has had bone spurs on both his shoulders for a long time and it has caused a lot of pain, limited activities and limited motion. He will have the other shoulder taken care of some time in the future but for now, he will concentrate on recovering this time around. It was outpatient surgery and his arm was in a sling for three days. He had a catheter running into his shoulder with medicine to numb it from the inside. This morning we took off the bandages and I took out the catheter. Gross and Disgusting! Every time he did the rotating exercises the doctor prescribed, his catheter wound would leak blood so by the time the bandages came off, his shoulder was kind of a mess. He has much better range of motion now and it is increasing steadily. Still quite painful but my man is a macho man and can take it. After both shoulders are done, he should have no more problems with them and should be able to do everything he wants to do without pain. Makes the pain and discomfort now worthwhile. The problem is, this is genetic and has to do with bone structure and Jacob is built the same way Kyle is. Sorry, little man. He will most likely be facing this same surgery in his future. The good thing is, I got to spend this whole week with Kyle at home. I love it when he is home. Of course, he worked a little bit by computer and phone and did our taxes but for the most part, he was all mine.

1 comment:

  1. What?!?! Kyle had surgery? Our family definately needs to get better at communicating! I didn't even know he had spurs - hello! I'm his sister!! I'm glad he recovered swiftly.

    ReplyDelete