Friday, February 6, 2009

A soldier's story

Jacob had a history assignment to write a journal entry as if he were a soldier in the Revolutionary War. What he wrote he came up with on his own and I think he did a fabulous job. He picked Roderick Henry as his soldier name. His journal entry is below.

I am cold; hunger claws at my stomach . I have a longing to see my family but if it means not seeing my family to end this war, so be it. I face dangers such as wild beasts and disease. Every day my feet cry out saying, "I'm cold! Get me out of here, please, I beg you!' But every step is for my country and every step is a courageous one, too. I am under the command of General George Washington, a brave and cunning man. Tomorrow we head to Saratoga, along the Hudson River. We've just received word that the British are coming along the Hudson River. We plan to stop them where they are. I hope I live through this.

signed: Roderick Henry


I realize there are inconsistencies such as the reference to cold in September but I'm very proud of this. When I read it I gave Jacob a big hug and told him he did a wonderful job. He was all smiles. Analee wrote an essay for English about the time she was baptized and she was the only one in her class that received an "A" for the assignment. Her teacher told her she did an excellent job. Unfortuately, she wouldn't let me post it on the blog. Maybe after Jacob letting me post his great work she will change her mind.

4 comments:

  1. Wow -- "hunger claws at my stomach" -- that's some impressive verbage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the whole "clawing" thing sounded like Sam ;) And you can tell him I didn't even notice the cold and September thing....and in his defense they can get freaky cold weather there in the fall. So there.

    Great job. You're next Analee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. He's a smart kid. That's some good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spencer would totally eat up this assignment, just like Jacob did. These two would get along well together I think. Nice writing!

    ReplyDelete