Fast forward to this past Saturday. Jacob's baseball team, the Pirates, had a game. It was cloudy and drizzly but we went. He has always batted left even though he is right-handed. He made it to second base but the next batter up was struck out and that was the third out so he didn't make it to home plate. He has a great time playing baseball.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Rained out baseball, surviving the storm and saving bunnies
About two weeks ago, Kyle and I were pulling ground cover plants/weeds out of the pool yard when we found a bunny nest. It had six little babies in it. This was the second nest we've found. The first caused much concern and worry for Jacob because the nest was in the yard where Buddy goes to do his business and Jacob didn't want him to find the nest and hurt the bunnies. Jacob would go outside with Buddy and make sure he didn't go anywhere near the nest. He would leave the breakfast and dinner table to check on the nest and he even mowed a safety zone around the nest with the lawnmower so everyone could tell where it was and be careful. He wanted to bring the bunnies inside to feed and take care of them. It took a lot to convince him that the mother was taking care of them just fine. So with that experience in mind we decided not to tell the kids about the second nest.
Fast forward to this past Saturday. Jacob's baseball team, the Pirates, had a game. It was cloudy and drizzly but we went. He has always batted left even though he is right-handed. He made it to second base but the next batter up was struck out and that was the third out so he didn't make it to home plate. He has a great time playing baseball.


When the Pirates were up 3-2 the game was called because the storm was getting worse. I took Analee and Sam to get their hair cut. We never made it. The storm got so bad so quickly that at 3 o'clock in the afternoon it looked like 8 o'clock at night and I couldn't see through the windshield even with the wipers on high. We slowly made our way home and discovered the creek next to our house was overflowing over the creek wall and into the surrounding trees. This picture was taken after the storm was over and you can see the water behind the creek and on the grass.
After we got home, I ran out to see the bunnies and found them sticking their heads out of the flooded nest above the water. I decided I'd rather save the bunnies while they were alive instead of cleaning them up after they had drowned. Analee and I put them in a small basket with two towels to keep them warm. They dried off and warmed up quickly and went to sleep. Of course we had to tell the kids and they wanted to hold them. ("Okay, just wash your hands really well afterward".)
Fast forward to this past Saturday. Jacob's baseball team, the Pirates, had a game. It was cloudy and drizzly but we went. He has always batted left even though he is right-handed. He made it to second base but the next batter up was struck out and that was the third out so he didn't make it to home plate. He has a great time playing baseball.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Cheryl! I found your blog from one of your sisters' blogs. It's so fun to see what you and your family are up to. These rabbits are so cute. I don't know if my dad had has pet rabbit last time you were at his house. Anyway, I'm glad to see that things look to be going well for you in Texas. Take a look at my blog and you can find a link to Amy's blog. www.theforestofcrazy.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYour cousin,
Julie
Jacob looks like a pro out there. And the bunny segment was very sweet; I would have been worried about the mother abandoning them -- I'm glad she didn't!
ReplyDeleteJacob still has good form on the ball field, just like last summer in BC. Forget the bunnies. They will eat all your flowers and crops.
ReplyDeleteI'm not an animal lover, but look how CUTE! You'll have to keep us updated on how they do (who knew there were wild bunnies?)
ReplyDelete