Thursday, May 14, 2009

I hate stupid days

This is turning out to be a stupid day. I hate stupid days. Several stupid things in the past few days have led up to this all-encompassing stupid day. First, my van decided that the traction system, the stability system and the ABS system all need to be stabilized and I get reminders to that effect every time I drive the van. The information part of my dashboard won't shut up about it. It has recently added "Change oil" to its personal to-do list. Stupid van.

The sun hasn't properly shined since a week and a half ago and the stupid rain won't stop coming down. Today is rain free but not overcast free and tomorrow and the next day we are in for more rain. Stupid rain.

Last Saturday Jacob had a game at 6:00 so he had to be at the field at 5:00. It had been cloudy but warm all day long so I didn't think I would need to bring a blanket. That's right. A blanket. And I was wearing capris and sandals. Just as we got to the field the temperature dropped and the wind picked up and it started to sprinkle. I endured it as long as I could which wasn't even long enough to last through the team's warm up hour. I HATE being cold. Kyle was on an adventure race with the Young Men and when I called him to see where he was, hoping he was close enough to home to stop and grab some blankets, was told he was just leaving the camp ground which was an hour and a half away. Not only would I not be getting a blanket but Kyle would be missing the game. I had to watch the game from the van through a rain drizzled windshield so I got a distant, fuzzy view of Jacob's pop-fly which was caught and of the two pop-flys he caught in the outfield. Stupid weather.

Yesterday was Analee's first soccer game (which I will post about later) and she had to be at the field at 4:30 for her 5:00 game. Jacob had to be at his baseball practice (20 minutes away) at 4:30. Analee's coach did not give very good directions to the field so they were both late to where they needed to be. Jacob was going to be late anyway but he was later than I had planned. Stupid directions.

Analee's game lasted only an hour and when we got back in the van, the sliding door on the passenger side refused to close. It is automatic and if there is an obstruction in the way when it is closing it will instantly reverse. There was nothing in the way that I could see or feel but it was stubborn. So I turned off the automatic sensor and closed the door manually, with no problem, only to find that when we started to drive the open door indicator was on and it wouldn't go off. The indicator is not a nice little picture indicating which door is the problem. It is an annoying, high pitched ding that goes higher and faster when the van starts to move. I looked and looked and looked for a way to shut it off and checked all the other doors to make sure it wasn't one of them but, nothing. We had to drive home with that stupid dinging. I need to take it in to get it serviced but I will have to wait until next week because I have to pick Analee up from school today, tomorrow Jacob has a game at 6:00, for which he has to be at the field at 5:00, Friday, Kyle and the boys are going on the Father/Son campout and on Saturday morning Analee and I have to go to Day Camp training. Stupid schedule. Why this week?

I had to go get gas for our lawnmower to mow the lawn today because the grass is so high from all the rain. The van was still dinging. I get the gas can home and even with instructions I can't fill the lawnmower without spilling gas everywhere, which means I now reek of gas. It got all over my hands and no matter how much I wash the smell does not. go. away. Stupid gas.

I'm sick of stupid. I should to do something for myself today to make me feel better. Maybe I'll go see a movie. Wait. The van is still dinging. Stupid, stupid day.

6 comments:

  1. I'll get a hammer and take care of the dinging for you.

    And you didn't include that today is a half day. Way stupid.

    It must be getting to that time of month...everything that can go wrong always waits for the perfect time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you're having a really rough week. Car problems are the worse! Not only do you get annoying dings and messages, but then you have to take your car into the shop where, it takes forever to get repaired, and then the bill makes you choke and have to rethink your budget for then next two months.

    I hope your week gets better! If you don't make it to a movie, try catching a rerun of Gilmore Girls on ABCFamily. It's a favorite of mine. It's always good for a laugh. Especially the early seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate bad days. Bad weeks are even worse. My last really bad week, Evan was visting (he was not the reason for the bad week. He was very helpful). One day it was really bad, so I went out for a walk to cool off. Then a bee got stuck in my hair and ended up stinging me in the head. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have those days once in a while and when they come, they come with a vengeance. It seems like when I have any bit of savings in the bank, one thing after another seems to break which depletes the savings. You will have a best day when we arrive for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ding...ding...ding...DING!DING!DING!
    Hope that gets fixed for you tonight.

    BTW: use bleach to get the smell of gas off of your hands (I know. I know. Why would you want to stop your hands smelling of gas just to get them smelling like bleach; double-edged sword really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My stupid days come during a certain week out of the month. The rest of the time, I can cope with the surprising turns in my life with humor and vivacity. My grandfather used to say "Misfortune, when viewed in the right light, can only be called high adventure."

    But when my coping skills go south, even an ordinary day devoid of action can be completely and utterly stupid. And overwhelming. And full of despair.

    The only thing I have found to take away the pain of a stupid day is time and persistence. To endure. I remember that and grit my teeth and plow through the stupid day, knowing the sun will come out tomorrow (although the thought of Annie singing this can be VERY annoying when your struggling through a stupid day).

    ...And sometimes a really good hug from the husband helps.

    ReplyDelete