Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Weta Cave

 I should have posted these pictures after the Hobbiton post, but here they are now.  The Weta Cave is a store at the bottom of the Sky Tower, the tallest building in Auckland.  They offer the experience of bungee jumping from the top of it.  Something I could never bring myself to do.  There was no place to park in the city around the Tower so Kyle stayed with the car while the kids and I went to the Cave.  The first thing inside the door was the fierce-looking Uruk-hai.  I had to urge the kids to get closer so I could get them all in the picture.
 This statue of Gollum was so much better than the one next to the sign of Hobbiton in Matamata.
Beautiful statue of a ring-wraith, although the picture did not turn out well.  The statues were the best part of the Weta Cave.  I was pretty disappointed.  There were souvenirs to buy but nothing was less than $50 and I didn't want to spend that much.  It was also a small store.  The original Weta Cave is in Wellington and much bigger with more to offer. I would love to visit that one someday.  We only stayed for about 10-15 minutes before we left.

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl I love your hair in the picture of you with Gollum! It looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - I'd definitely like to go to the one in Wellington. I'm a big LOTR movie fan .... very cool. Too bad places like Minas Tirath don't exist outside miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cool!! What fun adventures you are having!

    ReplyDelete