Monday, August 29, 2011

Is that really what it looks like?

It's only 10 pm but it really is too late for me to be saying anything worth anything.  Our second Saturday here we went to the Melbourne Zoo.  WOW is that a gorgeous zoo!  The habitats are spectacular and the animals are wonderful.  The zoo is boasting two baby elephants right now and watching them play in their pool was so darling.  They attracted quite the crowd.  Another great habitat was the butterfly house.  Can I just say that I have never seen such beautiful butterflies before anywhere. The butterflies fly around you and land on you and make you smile helplessly. Jacob had two land on him at once and if I could I would show you the picture.  My favorite one was an iridescent green with black on the edges of it's wings.  It reminded me of a fairy.
The craziest exhibit was Crapman.  Yes, you read that right.  Crapman, as in poop.  Crapman is a superhero for the zoo who goes around educating people about the need to recycle.  How does that relate to poop, you ask?  Because Crapman wants everyone to buy recycled toilet paper.  To get his point across, there are 5 toilet bowls set up, in all places, across from the food court and four of the bowls have a different kind of poop sitting on top of the lid.  It is fake poop.  At least I hope its fake.  It looks real with some kind of lacquer over it, but they wouldn't really do that, right?  Anyway, each poop is from some animal in the zoo and the point is to find the animal who has the most unique poop.  You have to lift each lid to see what animal it belongs to.  I'll tell you, lifting the lid on the first toilet made me nervous and I watched the kids do it before I would.  Send the kids in to do the dirty work.  It was just a picture of the animal that makes that poop and a little description of the diet of that animal.  When you lifted the lid of the toilet that had no poop on it, instead of a picture of a zoo animal, you saw yourself in the delightful little mirror placed inside. Yes, the animal with the most unique poop in the zoo is YOU.  Then you read some spiel about how using recycled toilet paper will cut down on the trees being used to make toilet paper in the first  place.  Quite a presentation to get around to that message.  There was a life-size cutout of Crapman with a space to put your head so the boys both posed as Crapman.  Incidentally, the food we got from the food court tasted like crap.  Bring a picnic lunch next time.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! It looks like you guys are having fun there! I'm enjoying reading all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Holy Crap Man" as Robin would say. LOL.

    ReplyDelete