Monday, June 21, 2010

Half a coop

One of our summer projects has been to build a chicken coop for the 12 little chickies we now own. Kyle printed out the plans for the kids and every morning we have worked on sawing and painting the boards. It got a little messy when we found out the paint was oil based and not water based but we worked with it any way. Jacob was very excited to use the saw. At first he measured and cut the boards but when I found out he wasn't squaring up the boards, I took over the measuring. He didn't understand the importance of squaring them up and so wouldn't do it. This is one instance where father knows best. The end result of the bottom half of the coop shows evidence of the lack of squaring.
The kids also helped with cutting and laying out the chicken wire.

This looks a lot like the hold you would use to tie a bow but it also works well for marking drill holes.
In the right hands, a drill can also double as a machine gun.
I like this picture because it shows the kids really paying attention to what their dad is doing. They are stabilizing the walls of the coop so dad can secure them together.
The Master of the Drill, the MAN, the DAD. There's nothin' like a man wielding a power tool.

The chicken coop can double as a kid coop. It may hold these three for a little while of cramped fun but...
it holds these 12 for much more practical purposes.
Ta-da! The bottom half of our chicken coop. There will be a second level for roosting and nesting boxes. It may not be as pretty as the one Rebecca sent me pictures of but I'm almost positive that no children were involved in the building of that one. Therefore, I like ours better. If I knew how to link to the site Rebecca sent me you would be able to see that gorgeous chicken coop. As it is, you will have to be content with this one. We love it.

2 comments:

  1. I smell a chicken dinner in a few months. Teaching the kids the importance of work at a young age is great. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great family memory maker! I bet the kids will always remember working with Dad on the coop.

    ReplyDelete