Thursday, June 10, 2010

How's your summer going?

Yes, I know that we are only 3 days into summer, but I thought I'd pose the question anyway. Our 3 days has gone surprisingly well, considering that to kick things off I locked our television so the kids can't turn it on whenever they want. Every single channel is locked and I hold the TV watching power. So far, the kids are in better moods at the start of the day and we get going much earlier. It is so nice to start the day with breakfast together and a walk around the neighborhood instead of waking up to the sound of cartoons. After the walk, we work on the fence, which needs some additional nails and to be weather treated, and then go for a bike ride. There is a lovely six mile bike ride that I go on each day. Analee has gone with me once and when Jacob's bike tires get adjusted he and Analee will trade off until we get Sam a new bike so he can come too. After the sweaty activities we all jump in the pool to cool down for a while. We have played games and read books and the kids go swimming two or three times a day. I realize that this is still in the novelty phase but I plan to keep this going all summer long. I bought tickets at our local movie theater for their summer movies program. 10 movies for $5 dollars. They are not new movies and all the movies shown are already out on DVD but it is just fun to go to the theater. We do that every Tuesday. Library time will come into the mix at one point or another. I am enjoying it and I feel good with the exercise and family time. We'll see how it goes and make changes when and where necessary but the TV thing, stays.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so envious. I've never been able to do anything (especially more than ONCE) with all of mine. I used to think "maybe when they get older," but I'm now realizing that isn't going to be the case either. I can live vicariously through you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have some great plans for the summer. We have done the movie thing in the past, but I don't think Ridge would be interested yet. This is our first day of vacation, tomorrow we will make some plans for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our summer goes about like the rest of the year, since we're homeschooling. I've also got the TV in lockdown (well, the internet and iTunes, as we don't have a tv) when the girls get their work/chores done, they can watch one tv show. Right now we're watching season one of H20: Just add water, which is just so cheesy, but the girls love it. It's tons of fun.

    I wish we had a swimming pool, I'm so jealous! Abby would spend every possible second she could in it. She's a fish. I just had to tell her that she couldn't take a second bath today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. You are hardcore! I've been enjoying PBS kids babysitting my kids while I sleep in this week! Next week they'll be in summer school, so everything will change, but I'm on vacation this week. good for you! you are a great example!!

    ReplyDelete