In Figian, Bula means Hello or Welcome. It is said everywhere you go and delivered with a fantastic smile. We went to Figi for another VISA trip. Our long-term VISA hit a snag and was not being resolved quickly or smoothly so we have dropped it. It was still the rainy season in Figi but with the exception of New Zealand, which we have already been to, it was the cheapest place to go. The top picture is at the airport. I like the picture because of the clouds over the mountains. The climate has only two degrees: wet and very wet. The air is full of humidity which makes it wet and when it rains it gets very wet.
This is Ben. He was part of the staff at the Seashell Resort where we stayed in the village of Momi. He chopped the top off of three coconuts so we could drink the milk and eat the meat inside. So delicious.
It looks like a coconut kiss.
The village resort was gorgeous. So much leafy green.
It was also very windy. We did not see the sun until our last day in Figi. It would rain suddenly and then stop only to start up again. At night, the rain really came down.
This was our cottage. It is called a bure, pronounced booruh, and roll the "r" sound.
This was the front room of the bure. There was a kitchen and dining area, which we didn't use, two beds, two bedrooms with a total of three other beds, and a bathroom.
The activities bure where we played pool and table tennis. I love the roof. During the tourist season other activities are available. Diving, island hopping, snorkeling, surfing and surf watching to name a few. I wish we could have done those.
The restaurant. There were only two other people staying at the resort along with us. That accounts for the lack of tables set up in the dining area. The food was very, very good.
Lots of palm and coconut trees.
So there were lots of coconuts, many of which were on the ground.
Which meant this sign was necessary. On our last day, I was standing a few feet away from a tree taking pictures when I heard what sounded like a distant sonic boom. I knew what it was. A coconut had fallen to the ground just behind me. Jacob rolled it over and we saw the depression in the ground it had made. It didn't bounce. It just thudded to the ground.
It rained most of the time we were there. During the lulls in the rain we made sure to be outside but even when it was raining, the boys had fun. They are playing in the ocean close to shore at low tide.
Every morning, the water level was very low. About a quarter of a mile out was a reef where the waves were crashing. When the wind stopped blowing, you could hear it. At low tide, you can walk all the way out to the reef.
This gives you an idea of just how far out the water recedes at low tide. Our village resort is in the distance. Kyle and the boys went even farther out.
They picked up a lot of shells. Many of them had crabs living in them so we didn't take those. But we came home with plenty to enjoy.
The roots of these trees will be covered once the water comes back in. It was fun to walk out so far and pick up shells and rocks.
The water from the tap is not safe to drink so we got our water from the rain barrel. We have something similar at home in Texas but that one is used for watering the garden, or it will be, once we get home and plant it.
We left the Seashell resort on Monday morning, the day we flew home. Our flight didn't leave until that evening so we drove to another resort in Natadola. Once we got there, some locals villagers took us for horse rides along the beach. I haven't been on a horse in so long that it is safe to say that I have never been on a horse. I definitely don't know how to ride one. But we had a great time. Riding horses on the beach in Figi was not something we were going to pass up.
I think the stirrups are too short. Hee, hee.
Kyle and Analee were the only ones who had any idea of what they were doing. Analee went to a week long horse camp when we lived in Minnesota so she was alright. She could put the horse into a canter, turn him, and stop him. I was impressed.
My horse handler's name was Levi. Pronounce it with a short "e" and the "i" sounds like a long "e". I had a great time. We all got to gallop our horses. Except for Kyle, our handlers got up behind us and took control. I could sit the saddle fine when the horse was walking but when he galloped I couldn't stay in it. I kept bouncing up and down and my feet kept coming out of the stirrups. Did I mention I don't know how to ride a horse? I'm still feeling the effects of that gallop, but I would do it again.
A few weeks ago, there was a huge flood that came down from the mountains. There is a river that runs through this resort and empties into the ocean. The flood came down the river and brought with it a massive amount of debris. It was washed up all over the beach.
But that didn't stop us from playing on the beach. This is when the sun came out. We were not prepared for it and didn't have sunscreen so we all got burned.
Jacob was the only one who swam in the ocean. The rest of us were tired and didn't want to change. I passed up the opportunity to swim in the ocean in Figi.
Lots of driftwood all over the beach. It brought with it lots and lots of little hermit crabs. So cute.
We bought some handicrafts from the villagers. We came home with necklaces and bracelets. Very pretty.
For lunch, we ate at the resort cafe. This centerpiece was made fresh for our table. Beautiful.
We were each given one of these flowers to wear in our hair. They are called frangipani and they smell like heaven. Isn't it gorgeous? This is Kyle's favorite flower from his mission to the Marshall Islands. He loved being in Figi.
This is actually a family photo because Jacob is in the background in the water.
This is Esaba. He gave us the flower centerpiece and the frangipani flowers. He was so friendly. All the Figians we met were friendly. It is part of the culture. They are such a happy people.
Driving on the roads in Figi is an experience all it's own. There are potholes everywhere and people drive by swerving from side of the road to the next. It's almost like a video game where you have to get to your destination and try not to hit or be hit by anyone. There are also train tracks everywhere. This was the sign to indicate you were coming up on some tracks. I think it is cute. The tracks were tiny. I wanted to see the tiny train that could fit on the tiny tracks.
Figi. It's the place to be. We will visit again some day but will make sure we go during the tourist season between April and November. It is a gorgeous island with super friendly people that make you feel welcome and like you are part of their family. I wish we could have stayed longer.
What a fun trip you all had. You just need to say "Whoa Levi". We all went horse back ricing in the Montana mountains once and Tana's horse kept wanting to turn back and go home. But we managed to keep going. Did you sing the Banonza theme song on the ride?
ReplyDeleteI can't believe all the adventures you are having!
ReplyDeleteLove the flower behind Kyle's ear. I had a friend from Fiji when I was in Minnesota and we called her Bula.
ReplyDelete