Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ready or not

I was right in wanting summer to last at least another two weeks. I was not ready for school to begin but as with many things in life, whether or not you are ready, here it comes. Analee started 9th grade. HIGH SCHOOL!!! I can't believe she's that old. I can still picture her on her first day of kindergarten. She has already had to change her schedule and she has finally been assigned a locker. She will be very busy this year with early morning seminary and two AP classes in her schedule. She will also have choir concerts and she wants to take private voice lessons this year. She has handled everything beautifully. She gets home off the bus around 5:00. She is tired and hungry so she grabs a snack and begins her homework. Homework began the second day of school.
Jacob is loving his Boys' Athletics class. He is currently doing football which means he gets to be at the school by 7:00 for practice, which goes until 9:00. A new experience for him is the boys' locker room and the requirement to shower every day after practice. He loves getting the football gear on and being on the field. I have not yet seen him in his gear and I need to get a picture of him. His homework also began on the second day and he has done a great job of getting it done without being told. He has been happy and comes home with a smile on his face.
Sam is doing alright in 5th grade. He has also had homework, which has gone very surprisingly well. Our focus is going to be getting him ready for middle school this year and with that in mind, Kyle and I have come up with very specific and direct goals that will hopefully help him. We chose these goals to also change the focus of the school where he is concerned and how he is taught. Our first meeting with the school will be next week.
I feel very overwhelmed with all the changes this year. Not just with my children but with me. With the kids, there is A LOT that is out of my control and I don't like that feeling. I have to figure out how to let things unfold the way they unfold and roll with it. I am the elementary school crossing guard again. I have loved being back at my corner and seeing all the kids. I am still in charge of the Book Fair that happens twice a year, the first later this month. And, I am the 1st Vice President of the PTA at the elementary school. I knew it would be outside my comfort zone but I didn't realize just how much outside. I may as well be in a different zip code. Every time I think about what I have going on this year, my brain gets all fuzzy and I can't seem to separate one thing from another. I have to be able to function. I want to enjoy this year and be successful in all I have going on. It's not too much to ask but I do have to ask for help in order to make it all come together. I have appealed to my husband and his priesthood power. Ready or not is definately a frame of mind and I need a new frame.

3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid of losing the control I have right now too and can see the writing on the wall more and more every day. But, hopefully it will teach my boys to be more responsible for their own things and make good choices. It has become more and more apparent to me just how important these young training years are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just wanted to try to post a comment. It has never worked in the past and so I'm just trying again.

    ReplyDelete