The reason I am blogging about this incident, even though it happened several weeks ago, is because I keep seeing evidence of it everywhere.
It was between 5:00 and 5:30 in the evening and I was in the kitchen making dinner. I happened to look out my window and saw a woman in red who was walking a big black dog. She was letting her dog do his business on my lawn. I didn't see her holding a bag or anything to clean it up with. I banged on my window and pointed at her to let her know I was watching and that she needed to clean it up. She looked at me and started to walk down the sidewalk again, leaving her dog's large, gross business on my lawn. I was having none of that! I ran out the front door and this is what followed.
Me: "Excuse me."
Her: pause as if deciding whether or not to turn around and acknowledge me. Turns around.
Me: "Could you please pick up after your dog?"
Her: pause again as if considering my request. "I don't have a bag."
Me: "I can get you one."
Her: very reluctantly, "Okay."
I went back inside and brought her out a bag. She took it and I watched from my doorstep as she picked it up. I made sure to sound polite as I said to her, "Thank you. I really appreciate it." She responded with a "Your welcome" as she continued walking down the street. I felt pretty proud of myself for not letting her get away with that and for making sure I was polite. Now we get to the next day. Kyle was planning on mowing the lawn that evening when he got home from work and for some reason I had the thought of checking the lawn to make sure everything was gone before the lawnmower got it. I found, to my disgust and anger, that the lady had not actually picked up after her dog but had just smushed it down into the lawn. Now here I am looking down at this stuff and trying to remain calm. But I am ticked off. How RUDE!! I see it all the time. People walk their dogs and don't pick up after them, expecting other people to take care of it. Is there no consideration? Is there no sense of responsibility? If you are going to be a dog owner, it just stands to reason that you are willing to take care of every part of owning a dog, including the less than glamourous parts. I have seen this same lady again and she still doesn't carry anything with which to clean up after her dog. Apparently, the incident with me didn't mean anything to her except maybe to be forgotten. Unfortuantely, there is nothing I can do to change people's behavior to something closer to respect for others. But if I see her again with her dog on my lawn I will be outside with a bag and my camera. It won't be a pretty picture of her and maybe she will at least think twice before walking her dog down my street.
You should post a little picket sign on your lawn so she can't miss it. Perhaps it could contain a frightful warning of what will happen if this continues!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Courtney. Let the kids make a sign: "If they poop it out, You pick it up." Or something.
ReplyDeleteKudos on actually talking to her. I could have NEVER done that. I hate confrontation. It leaves me speechless or turns me into a complete....witch. Both things I hate.
Here's a link for ya:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/05/this-is-not-your-dogs-bathroom-10-anti-pooping-signs/
Consider it inspiration ;)
Now is when you need the super loud air horn in a can and blast that dog ant its owner to the next county, just when he starts his business.
ReplyDeleteLet me have at her!! Rrrrrrrrr.... Like Rebecca, confrontation turns me into a witch, but unlike Rebecca, I seem to have them too much.
ReplyDelete